Thursday, July 2, 2009

Great Grandma's Oahu Chicken

As promised, here is the first of my Great Grandma’s recipes! I think it is so neat to try out meals that my family made three generations ago. I told my mom I was making this and she could remember her grandma making it. How cool is that? Someday my daughter will remember eating this dish that her Great-Great Grandmother made!

Tonight I tried her recipe for Oahu Chicken. It was delicious! My husband has already asked me to make it again and I am so looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow night for dinner. Here is the recipe, with a few minor adjustments made. The original recipe calls for ¼ cup of butter to brown the chicken in but I lightened it up and used about 1 ½ tablespoons. I dredged the chicken in whole wheat flour. I also added green peppers to the recipe because it just seemed as though they would fit…and I was right! It was a great flavor.

Oahu Chicken

3 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1-2 Tbsp butter
1 8 oz can pineapple chunks
1 small green pepper, diced
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
¾ cup chicken broth

Dredge chicken in flour. Melt butter in a large skillet and slowly brown the chicken.
Drain pineapple, reserving ½ cup of the juice. Mix pineapple juice with brown sugar, ginger, and a pinch of salt; add to chicken.
Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, and peppers to skillet. Stir well. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove lid and continue simmering an additional 20 minutes.

I served this over brown rice with steamed carrots on the side. It was such a delicious dinner. Great Grandma would be proud!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I think I'll try it tonight! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete