Monday, July 13, 2009

Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos

I recently came across a recipe when browsing the blog Keeper of the Home (http://www.keeperofthehome.org/). It was something very different and I was so intrigued that I absolutely had to try it. I had never heard of sweet potato burritos before but let me tell you, they are completely, utterly, delectably delicious! Since I knew my sweet potato hating husband would never eat them, I decided to make them tonight when he would be away.
You can follow the link to the actual recipe, but I will tell you how I made them for myself. As usual, I used the recipe as a guide, and then did my own thing with it. You can find the recipe here: http://safewaycanada.allrecipes.com/Recipe/recipe.aspx?shop=1&nprid=13954&scale=12&metric=False

I didn’t have kidney beans, but happened to have a can of good old fashioned pork and beans in the pantry. I didn’t want the sweet sauce, so I rinsed about three quarters of the can. After sautéing onion and garlic in some olive oil, I added the beans to the pan and mashed them up as best I could with a wooden spoon. I added the water and let it simmer. I added soy sauce, cumin, chili powder and dry mustard powder (we don’t use prepared mustard). I omitted the cayenne but added some fresh, chopped cilantro. Truthfully, I didn’t measure anything. If you don’t feel comfortable with that, follow the recipe above!

Then, as the recipe says, I put some mashed sweet potato and the bean mixture onto whole wheat tortilla shells and sprinkled with grated cheddar cheese. I wrapped them burrito style and baked at 350 for 12 minutes. The amount of filling I made amounted to four burritos. Since I will be the only one eating them, I saved one for tomorrow and froze the other two. I simply wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap and sealed them in a freezer bag. Next time I am alone for dinner (by alone I mean with a baby who mashes up her food with her hands then rubs it in her hair) I can pop one of those in the oven and will have a delicious dinner!

I know, I know, this recipe sounds a bit strange. I thought so too which is why I just had to try it. I can’t even believe how scrumptious it was. If you like sweet potatoes and beans, you must give it a try! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment