Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cooking with Cream of Mushroom Soup

Skillet Dinner

I really like to make a nice dinner for my family, but sometimes I just need to throw something together-and fast. I’m all about cooking without a recipe and I thought I would share what I whipped up for dinner the other night. It was extremely simple, used ingredients I always have in the kitchen, and tasted great. It was very simple and not at all fancy but thankfully, we don’t mind that!

I peeled and diced some potatoes and boiled them. In the meantime, I browned ground beef in a large skillet. When the potatoes were about three quarters done, I added them to the ground beef, threw in some frozen corn and peas, seasoned it all with pepper and onion soup mix, and poured a can of cream of mushroom soup over top. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes and it was done. I added a few drops of beef broth now and then when the sauce seemed a bit thick. Super easy and it was pretty good for a recipe I made up as I went! Served with fresh whole wheat bread and butter and a glass of milk and it was a decent dinner!

Cooking with Cream of Mushroom Soup

If you know me, you know I hate mushrooms. The taste and texture makes me gag something awful so I avoid them. I never used to cook with mushroom soup but my husband likes it so I adapted. It’s actually not that bad and I’ve made some delicious meals with it. I stock up on store-brand cans when they are on sale and I buy the low fat variety. It is so easy to put a roast and some onions in the crock pot, season as you like, and pour a can of mushroom soup and some beef broth over top. It cooks all day and makes really nice gravy. I thought I’d share a couple more meals I make with the soup that are very easy and pretty economical too!

Stroganoff

When I have sour cream that needs to get used up, I often make stroganoff for dinner. I brown some ground beef with onions, pour in a can of mushroom soup and some beef broth to make a sauce. I season with beef bouillon and during the last five minutes add sour cream to taste. Add a little dill, pour over egg noodles and you have a cheap and easy shortcut stroganoff. It is GOOD! I serve it with peas and a salad.

Pork Chop Magic

I’ll never forget the day my husband asked me to make pork chop magic for dinner. I thought it was so funny and cute! That is what they called this dinner growing up in his house.
Thinly slice potatoes and place in a greased 9x13 pan. Top with pork chops and season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup with some beef broth (I really use that combination a lot, don’t I?). Pour over the potatoes and chops and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until done (this will vary depending on the size of the chops and whether or not they are boneless). Pork chop magic!

Cooking without Recipes

You’ll find a lot of my recipes don’t include measurements or step by step instructions. I can’t help it, that’s just how I cook. Often, if I learn a new meal, I will follow the recipe and once I’m used to it I adapt it to my own ways and the recipe starts to fade into the background. I wonder if I’ll be one of those grandmothers who keeps all my recipes in my head?! I used to need to follow recipes exactly but I feel so liberated the way I cook now. If you haven’t tried it, I encourage you to let loose and experiment in the kitchen!

Coming Soon…

My grandma has been emailing me some of my Great-Grandmothers recipes. I decided I will start trying them out and posting the results here. From what I remember as a little girl, she was one good cook! Hopefully we’ll have some good ones coming your way very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I like this post! Yes, cream of mushroom soup is so hanady and can really be used in a of of dishes. I always try to have a few cans on hand at all times! I will have to try the rescipes you mentioned. They sound great! Thankx! Mae

    ReplyDelete