Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pork Burrito's and Fresh Salsa

Speaking of burritos…
I thought I would share our family’s burrito recipe. It is extremely easy to put together as long as you have a little time in the afternoon to let it simmer. You can make this with pork, chicken, or beef. We usually use pork chops or a small pork roast but I have done it with some tough cuts of beef also.
Place your meat of choice in a pot and pour in enough salsa (the store bought variety) to cover all the meat. Add a small amount of water to bring the liquid to about an inch over the meat. Cover the pot; bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is falling apart when you press a spoon into it. Towards the end of the cooking time, I add a handful or two of brown rice, and usually add some more water. Once the rice is done, I shred the meat with two forks and it’s finished! The flavor is so good and what can be easier than that?

I like to serve it on whole wheat tortillas (white for my husband!) with sautéed peppers and onions, corn, shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and fresh salsa. What…you don’t make your own salsa? Well, let me encourage you to try! It’s amazingly easy, healthy, and yummy!



Fresh Salsa

4 medium sized tomatoes
½ a medium sized onion
1 Tbsp fresh, chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp lime juice
Salt, to taste

Chop the tomatoes into 1 inch pieces and finely chop the onion. Combine in a bowl with the cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Refrigerate for an hour or longer before serving to let the flavor develop.

Sometimes, if I find it isn’t quite flavorful enough, I will add a spoonful or two of store bought salsa to give it a kick. I may add more cilantro, lime juice, or salt if necessary. You could also add finely chopped fresh jalapeno’s if you want a bit of spice. You can totally make it your own.

How easy was that? It is so refreshing. It tastes just like the salsa we ate at every meal at a resort in Mexico. I recommend eating it with tortilla chips while sitting outside on a summer day. Doesn’t that sound fantastic?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, how yummy sounding!! and you make it sund so easy and simple, but I don't about making my own salsa. I think its alittle much for me! Does sound good though!! Just maybe I will have to give it a try one of these days. I have my own fresh tomatoes and onios from the garden too!! So i really don't have an excuse do I! keep it up!! Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mae, your salsa will taste amazing using fresh tomatoes and onions out of your garden. I promise, it is VERY easy to make and hardly time consuming at all. You could try making a small amount..say 2 tomatoes and a bit of onion. The most time consuming part is all the chopping. It's so easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good salsa! I tried this a few weeks ago, as well as Cilantro chicken! Do you mind if I put a link on my blog to your Cilantro Chicken recipe? I post a Tasty Treat on Tuesdays and need a post for today, so let me know! Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete