Friday, July 31, 2009

Bread Machine Recipes

There is nothing like the aroma of fresh bread wafting through the house to stir up feelings of home and comfort. I love fresh bread. I used to work in a bread bakery and every morning enjoyed some hot and fresh out of the oven. It was amazing. I’m all about a hand rolled and kneaded loaf of bread but I see nothing wrong with dumping ingredients in a bread machine and walking away, only to return four hours later to a steaming hot loaf of delicious, wholesome bread. Oh delight! I often use our bread maker to add something special to our dinner meal. Even better, I will use the timer function so we get the pleasure of waking in the morning to the smell of bread baking. Can’t beat that!
Here are the two main recipes I use. The seven grain bread is the one I use most often but occasionally I will treat us to a loaf of white.

Seven Grain Bread

Follow your manufacturer’s instructions as to which order to place the ingredients in the pan. The order I put here is the order I do it in mine.

1 2/3 cup lukewarm water
3 Tbsp skim milk powder
2 Tbsp applesauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp salt
2 ½ cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup 7 grain mix
1 ½ tsp yeast

I actually put a little extra whole wheat flour in the mix. I use 2 cups of white and 1 ½ cups whole wheat. I tried to put more than that but found the loaf was too dense and didn’t raise well at all.

White Bread

Again, follow your manufacturer's directions.

1 ½ cups lukewarm water
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp applesauce
3 ¾ cup white flour
1 tsp yeast

Herb Bread

Remember the spaghetti dinner I was making for guests last weekend? I decided to make an herb bread to go with it. It was delicious! It still simply involved putting ingredients in the bread machine and forgetting about it. If you are interested, click here to get to the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment