Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cilantro Chicken

Here is a yummy recipe my mother in law told me about recently. I have a bunch of cilantro at the moment so it was perfect to use some of that up. It was super easy and so delicious, even the baby loved it! I am going to rein myself in this time and try to write this as a more formal recipe. As per my usual method, I pretty much threw this together but these measurements might help a bit.

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts (I use boneless, skinless but any kind you like could work)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small yellow pepper, diced
½ cup frozen corn
½ cup frozen peas
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 cups rice (I used a mix of brown and white)
2 ½ cups chicken broth
1 ½ tablespoons chicken bouillon
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper, to taste

Sautee onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add chicken breasts to pan and brown. Season with salt and pepper. Pour a small amount of the chicken broth into the pan to get all the flavor bits off the bottom. Pour everything into a large casserole dish. Add all vegetables, cilantro, rice, remaining chicken broth, bouillon and butter. Season with more salt and pepper if you like. Bake at 400 for about and hour or until chicken is cooked and rice is tender.

Wow, look at that… I took what was in my head and turned it into a recipe!
This was seriously yummy. But I have to be honest and tell you, I forgot to put the corn and peas in. I meant to and I think the dish would have been even better with them. I think the forgetfulness had something to do with the fact that my 9 month old just learned to crawl yesterday and was opening kitchen drawers and throwing dish towels all over the floor while I was cooking. What’s a mom to do?
Let me know what you think of this recipe (and don’t forget all of the veggies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment